The greatest service we can provide to you is our commitment to preventive dental care. A good preventive dental program starts with routine dental visits including cleanings and examinations. At certain times radiographs (X-rays) will be made of your teeth to survey certain areas of your mouth and help the dentist recognize potentially harmful conditions.
We will also provide information regarding proper home care including brushing and flossing techniques, toothpaste, mouthwashes, and the proper fluoride regimen.
During the doctor’s examination, while working with the hygienist and yourself, the information will be gathered regarding teeth and gum conditions, oral cancer screening, and a plan will be made individually for you. A good preventive plan varies by individual and is the key to healthy long term oral health.
- Soft tissue exam and oral screening to identify changes in the tissues of the mouth or signs of oral cancer. What to expect at the Hygiene Appointment (Teeth Cleaning) A dental hygiene appointment at Montevideo / Granite Falls Family Dentistry consists of:
- Gum disease screening, including a measurement of the depth of your gums (pockets)
- Dental exam to diagnose any cavities or other dental conditions.
- The hygienist will take digital x-rays of your teeth unless you had x-rays recently. Bite-wing X-rays should be taken every 1 -2 years. The x-rays help locate disease and decay.
- The dentist will perform the exam and check for cavities and other conditions.
- The dentist will discuss the results of the exam and answer your questions about the recommended treatment or dental health in general.
- Preventative cleaning. The hygienist will clean and polish your teeth to remove plaque, a sticky film of bacteria on the teeth that produces an acid that causes tooth decay. The hygienist will also teach proper flossing or answer any questions about cavity prevention or dental hygiene.